Sunday 5 July 2009

The Relief world

Before I arrived in the Congo, I was warned by some people about the effectiveness of the humanitarian aid sector in responding to crises in this part of Africa. I was warned about the reputation of the UN and just how badly organised they can be, and even about some of the donors and NGO`s, about the approaches they take and the benefits for the locals.

Needless to say I was pretty shocked by the response of one of our donors this week. Although Medair are a Christian aid agency, some of the donors we deal with are not, they are certainly more secular. I won`t say who the donor was, but we had arranged to transport some medical aid with them this week. They cancelled the flight with a days notice, because instead of transporting the cargo, they wanted to transport some diplomats to a meeting. Can you imagine that? Rather than save lives, they preferred to send some high ranking officials for a meeting.

Thankfully, I chose to work for Medair, who like I say, are very much a Christian agency. It means, or at least I hope so, that we do and what we say stands out. The fact that we spend time as a team praying and studying the word together really matters. We are motivated by the love of Christ, our standards are that much higher, and we are here to genuinely serve the local people. What am I trying to say? Well im trying to say that it really matters that Christ is at the centre of what we do.

These are my thoughts anyway as I see some of the pros and cons of working at the sharp end of the humanitarian field. I had thought about this a lot before coming out to the field, so was fully prepared for it. I am already asking myself does humanatrian aid really give the DR congo what it needs? I don`t have an answer for you yet I came here to find out for myself.

However I am convinced that Medair does have something different to offer in this line of work. Im convinced that it makes a difference when you move forward with prayer, courage and obedience to Jesus, that he will work through you and his transforming power will change hearts and lives.

In the words of Martin Luther King, `if you can`t fly then run, if you can`t run then walk, If you can`t walk then crawl, but by all means keep moving forward.`

1 comment:

Pete Hulme said...

Hey mate hows things I'm enjoying reading the blog! Can't believe they're transferring the diplomats instead of aid! Pics looking good it looks pretty similar to Uganda we saw lake Albert too! Stay strong mate you're doing a great job. Is anyone sending you any football magazines? Do you rad fourfourtwo? Maybe I could sed you one my mum used to send them to me and I loved getting them!
see ya soon

Pete