Monday 19 April 2010

Depending on God

Phillipians 4,11-13 is an interesting verse in the bible ive come to appreciate in recent months. `I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

I only have one month left in the Congo, and the last year has not always been easy, lots of ups and downs. Problems ranging from security issues to many changes in the team have led me to depend on God on a daily basis more than I have ever done before. For my work, i have been asked to do things Ì have never done before and had to have faith in God to help me, sometimes when i have been the only expat at my base.

Its right to depend on God. Trusting God`s grace to draw near so that we can expeience Him as our refuge, glory and stength corrects the problem of our independence and separation from God. That God wants to be close enough to be your confidence and security means that he wants to be yout God, in every situation. I also think that our dependence on God in these everyday situations exalts Him, gives Him praise and shows that we are worshipping Him through the way we choose to live our lives.

I hope this attiducte represents a developing maturity in my faith, and i really hope i can keep surrendering every day in dependence to God, to give him the glory. The apostle Paul wrote, Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light...behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts (Rom. 13:12b-14). Separation from God naturally leads to sin, and sinful desires. It is right to completely depend on God for our confidence and security.

No comments: