Friday 8 August 2008

Zambia

So, i've been in Zambia a few days now...its fair to say its been an interesting trip so far!!!

We spent our first night in Lusaka, staying with the African rally champion, who also happens to be a Christian and a huge man utd fan...so we got on well! On Wednesday we started to make our way North and West towards Chingola. En route, we stopped off at a friends house in Kitwe. I got into a conversation with this white Zambian guy, who pretty much talked at me for about an hour, telling me how proud he was to be Zambian and that he had as much right to be here as any black man. I wasn't arguing with him, but was slightly taken aback by how fiercely proud he was of his heritage. This guy was a fifth generation descendant from colonial Brits.

Anyway, we're in Chingola now. The accommodation is surprisingly good. I have a bed, there is running water and we even have a garden. With the sun shining every day, it doesn't feel too much like mission at the moment. In truth, we're getting everything set up in out two flats at the moment and the mission will start on Sunday. Needles to say there are a few things that don't work...this is Africa after all!! The toilet keeps leaking, the power keeps going out and my mobile phone isn't working properly. Ah well, thats part of the experience I guess!!!

No comments: