Saturday 12 December 2009

Dungu Update

Sorry I have not written in a while, but Im in Dungu now...and there is very little internet coonection here. I took up my new role as base support manager 2 weeks ago. I had a fantastic holiday with the beautiful Jennie in SW Uganda, visiting Lake Bunyone and the Virunga volcano range. Pretty spectacular. (I'm sure most of you have seen the photo's on facebook by now - I certainly don't have the bandwith to upload any photo's here)

And now im in Dungu. Whats in Dungu..well not much to be honest. Its a small town in North East Congo, approximately 250 km from the Sudan border. About 1 year ago the LRA crisis exploded here. The LRA have long since been forced out of town, but they are not that far away. There are reports of LRA attacks about 60KM away from here, with Congolese and Ugandan armz forces present everywhere.

What are Medair doing here? We run an emergency health project, providng equipment, medication and supervision, in the main hospitals and health centres. At the moment, treatment for the local population and IDP's is completely free in all Medair programmes. Thats an amazing gift we can give the impoverished population here. Martin Luther King said it was every persons human right to have access to health care.

We have just had our programme extended here for another year Praise God. The LRA are still very much a present force in north Eastern Congo, and continue to penetrate CAR and South Sudan. so there is much work to be done.

I promise to write more soon. I will be in Congo for Christmas, in Bunia next week, so I will have a much better internet connection in the base there.

Bye for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mark,
good meeting you. keep up the good work in dungu. let me know what you hear re lra etc. you have my card!
ledio